Roshni Sonanthra (Sona) Barnes
Address: 41, 3rd Lane, D. M. Colombage Mawatha, Kirulapone, Colombo 5, Sri Lanka
Telephone: +94 72 333 1907
Birth date: 24 October 1968
Age: 44 years
Nationality: Sri Lankan
Marital status: Single
- Creative, artistic, sensitive and perceptive. High-achieving fast learner with original style. Professional, yet, relaxed and friendly personality with a knack to put people at ease.
- Hardworking, methodical, self-motivated, independent and responsible.
- Wide experience working with entrepreneurs, professionals, politicians, artistes and people from all walks of life.
- Flexible and experienced to work independently, lead a team or be a strong and supportive team member.
- Lives by the motto: ‘genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.’
- UNICEF – 30-second video clip selected to represent UNISEF’s international campaign against child labour 1997-98.
- Salon ‘Cutting Crew’ – Established and operated own select hairdressing studio, (12 years).
- ‘Perfect Wave’ hair show – ‘Hairdresser of the Year’ 1988. ‘Creative Head’ 1988. First runner-up ‘Creative Head’ 1986.
- Music – Unbroken record: Youngest professional female lead/rhythm guitarist to perform on stage alongside leading professional Sri Lankan musicians at the age of 12 years.
Areas of Expertise:
JOURNALIST / COPY WRITER / SUB EDITOR
Several years experience writing, editing, and sub editing articles for magazines, newspapers, advertisements, research reports and other print media.
REPORTER / PRODUCER
Comprehensive international training in all aspects of scripting and video production:
- Scripting – trained by former BBC Chief Correspondent, Mr. Richard Ralling
- Television Video Production – trained by Mr. Tomas from Worldview Global Media Ltd.
- Research and reconnaissance
- Interviewing and direction of shoots (studio and location)
- Time cording, transcribing and preparation for edits
- Editing (documentary as well as short clips)
- Basic operation of audio/video equipment including cameras
- On camera anchor presentation experience
HAIRDRESSING AND MUSIC
- The experience gave me a sound grounding in the fashion and entertainment industries as well as in being an effective back-up musician /team player and solo artist. This laid the foundation for a challenging and rewarding career, in which I speedily earned a name for myself as an award-winning, high-achieving, creative and sought after artist with a winning streak.
2012 December – to date LEADER PUBLICATIONS (PVT) LTD Ratmalana
Sub Editor (Freelance) – The Sunday Leader
2011 December – 2012 October CEYLON NEWSPAPERS (PVT) LIMITED Colombo7
Sub Editor – Ceylon Today
Ten months experience in all aspects of sub editing handling the main news pages and functioning in the capacity of de facto Chief Sub Editor.
2010 March – 2011 December Editor/Copy Writer (Freelance)
Editing of research and advocacy documents for local NGOs and conceptualizing and writing copy for TVCs, Radio Spots and Jingles, Light boxes and Hoardings and Print Advertisements.
2008 March – 2010 January MAN’S MISSION (MM)
Contributed articles on lifestyle and profiles of high ranking business personalities for Sri Lanka’s only up market lifestyle quarterly magazine aimed at the man with discerning tastes.
2006 August – 2008 January REAL ESTATE PARTNER Colombo 5
Regularly commissioned to write articles covering a wide variety of products and services provided by leading businesses for Sri Lanka’s pioneering international real estate monthly journal.
2007 October – 2007 November SAVE THE CHILDREN IN SRI LANKA (SCiSL) Colombo 7
Documentation of the SCiSL Matara District Child-led Disaster Risk Reduction programme comprising a 15-page booklet for printing and publication.
2007 July – 2007 August MASTERS ADVERTISING Colombo 3
Copy Writer (Contract)
Stand-in Associate Creative Director servicing a segment of the DIALOG TELEKOM account, and other clients: The work involved conceptualizing and writing copy for TVCs, Radio Spots and Jingles, Light boxes, Hoardings and Print advertisements.
2005 December – 2006 March AL KAFAALA Mount Lavinia
Producer/Copy Writer (Contract)
15-minute video documentary titled ‘The Primary Needs of Humankind’ to launch the NGO’s international fund raising projects, profiling vision, mission and objectives.
1996 June – 1999 February YOUNG ASIA TELEVISION (YA*TV) Colombo 4
Commenced work as trainee Reporter/Producer, and was soon promoted to Assistant Producer ‘Young Outlook News’ (YO NEWS), and Producer ‘Information Zone’ (I ZONE), whilst also contributing to the ‘Human Rights,’ other YA*TV programmes.
I was involved in all aspects of programme producing.
1994 November – 1995 September SALON CUTTIN’ CREW Colombo 3
Partner / Hair Stylist
1994 June – 1994 September SALON IMPRESSIONS Colombo 8
Hair Stylist (Freelance)
1993 March – 1994 January SALON BAIT– AL– EZ Kuwait
Hair Stylist (Contract)
1988 September – 1992 November SALON CUTTING CREW Colombo 3
1984 June – 1988 August SALON RAMZI Colombo 8
Four years experience in the capacity of barber where I was tutored by Sri Lanka’s top internationally qualified unisex hair and make-up artistes, Ramzi Rahaman and Vasantha De Silva (KESS (PVT) LTD), where I gained a thorough knowledge, and extensive practical experience in all aspects of salon work.
Education: Schools attended
Ladies’ College, Colombo 7
St. Lawrence’s College, Colombo 6
Hobbies and Interests: Reading, Gardening, Creative Writing, Drawing and Learning: Personal and professional development towards excellence
Lalith Alahakoon – 0777489770 – Editorial Consultant, WIJEYA NEWSPAPERS LTD
Hilmy Ahamed – 0777312421 – CEO, YOUNG ASIA TELEVISION (YA*TV)
Vasantha de Silva – 0777707545 – Managing Director, KESS (PVT) LTD